Date Prepared: May 3, 2022
Position Title: Art Therapist
Reports To: Executive Director
Broad Scope and Purpose for the Position: We are looking to employ a compassionate and experienced art therapist to utilize art and psychotherapeutic techniques to help clients improve their mental health and well-being. You should also be able to encourage clients to reflect on the artwork produced during art therapy sessions.
Art Therapist Responsibilities:
- Consults with clients to discuss their histories and identify the issues or conditions they wish to address. Secures information including physical, psychological, and social factors that contribute to the client’s situation and evaluates these and the client’s capacities.
- Counsels individual clients, with the client, develop a treatment plan to address the client’s needs and assist clients to improve functioning.
- Documents all contact and correspondence on behalf of clients, including contact with outside agencies.
- Conducts art therapy sessions with clients using various types of visual art.
- Discusses artwork with clients to evaluate the meaning and emotions behind the artwork.
- Develops suitable art therapy programs for clients based on their needs and objectives.
- Teaches clients coping skills and strategies to enable them to deal with challenging and traumatic experiences.
- May initiate and/or co-facilitate group art therapy sessions
- Maintains detailed records of client’s progress as well as observations made during art therapy sessions.
- Strengthens and expands FCS’s programs by establishing relationships through attendance at meetings and conferences to further educational growth and active participation with other human services providers as requested.
- Identifies and presents to the Executive Director and/or Clinical Director changes in service needs and trends within the community. May propose alternative service offerings to answer changing community and client needs.
- Maintains current professional license and complies with all annual and regulatory requirements of specific licensure.
- Attends agency-related dinners, fundraisers, team meetings, and other functions as required.
- Attends continuing education and training to keep skills current.
- Schedules clients or asks the receptionist/admin staff to do so.
- Becomes familiar with and follows the stated waiting list and “no show” policies and procedures.
- Closes out clients when applicable, initiates closing paperwork, and process.
- Calculates and provides to the Executive Director monthly statistical reports of therapy activities when requested.
- Follows note-taking outline provided by or approved by a supervisor, for each client in Therapy Appointment record keeping (in addition, therapists may keep their own separate private file on clients with their own style of note taking).
- Takes on and completes additional projects when asked by Clinical Supervisor (s) or Executive Director.
- Assumes other duties as assigned.
Art Therapist Requirements:
- Master’s degree in art therapy or counseling with additional coursework in art therapy.
- Certification by the art therapy credentials board (ATCB) a plus.
- Appropriate state licensure or working toward licensure.
- Sound knowledge of visual art.
- Excellent observational and counseling skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Patient, empathetic, and creative.
- A passion for art.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Strong organizational skills
Ability to handle stressful situations
Ability to recognize need for case consultant
Ability to work independently
Ability to handle multiple tasks
Ability to maintain confidentiality
Proactively takes action to resolve issues
Bilingual in Spanish & English highly desirable
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include Art Therapist in the Subject Line.